Thursday, July 26, 2012

Les Vignes Buissonnieres en Pic Saint Loup


So I think that this is the most "French" thing that I have done over my whole stay in France. The family that I tutor for invited both Keith and myself to accompany them to Les Vignes Buissonnieres en Pic Saint Loup. This is an area that has never been known for its wines and so 12 years ago they put together this event to help their wines get recognition. It has been going strong ever since. Basically it is hike, wine tasting and meal all put into one glorious afternoon. 


At the begging of the whole event we were given a pouch which contained a booklet with a map and all of the wines and food we would be tasting at each of the six stations, a pencil to mark down our favourite wines, a fork and knife and of course a wine glass. In addition to the pouch we also received a straw hat. Luckily for us it actually drizzled most of the day, but the hat would have been an absolute necessity if it had been sunny and I have used mine now on numerous occasions to go to the beach or on long sunny walks. 


The walk itself meandered through vineyards and up hills to give an excellent view of the region. Most of the walks were between one and two kilometres and between many of the stations were funny quotes and riddles about wine. For example, "Je boirai du lait le jour où les vaches mangeront du raisin. / I'll drink milk everyday, when cows eat grapes." Jean Gabin


The food was fantastic. Each station was a different course and so we started with appetizers and as we continued on through the entrées toward deserts, I thought "this is how every meal should be conducted". Eat sumptuous food for a bit, walk for a bit and compliment continuously with great wine and conversation. The gastronomic highlights for me were a cold salmon and lentil salad and an amazing roast pork with potatoes. This will probably be one of the most memorable meals we have had in France. And of course at the end of the day we bought some wine, really how could you not?








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the message. I love hearing from you and I hope that you are enjoying the blog!