Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Essayons: Let`s try it!



Again we are at a bit of standstill while waiting for further paperwork to be processed before we can sign our lease on the apartment.  It is going to be such a relief to finally move in. In the meantime I have signed up for a French course three times a week and have spent way too many hours on the Ikea website.

In order to fill this gap of hum drum waiting, I have decided to share with you some of the fantastic food pictures that I have taken because what do I when I am bored or stressed? Well eat, of course!




The first couple of these were taken at Keith’s boss’s friend’s house when we went for dinner. I absolutely loved the kitchen and especially the wood oven.




Some of our current indulgences included fish products of all sorts. The range of sea creatures available is astounding. We are eating fish at least twice a week here and loving it.


In addition to fish we have been testing out the different varieties of meats and sausages available. Only in Europe do you find haunches of prosciutto just hanging in the middle of a grocery isle. And only in France would someone have enough ego to name their sausage “mini Jesus.” I must admit the fat content of this sausage does not seem to fit its name.


Some extraordinary surprises have been finding chocolate with caramelized quinoa in it. (This has been my favourite treat so far, but I am only just starting to sample from the huge selection of chocolates.) Keith also eagerly picked out Cappuccino muesli for his morning caffeine hit. Unfortunately, it didn’t taste quite as good as it sounded.



Every trip to the supermarket is a bit of an adventure, as I spend time reading labels and trying to figure out what certain things are. I have found enough gluten free food to sustain me and have recently discovered an Asian market that has a wide variety of “Carolyn Friendly” products as well.    As of yet we have not had the gumption to try the tongue soup, which is presented so nicely in colourful jars, and I’m not sure if I will ever buy brain from the butcher. But the adventure continues with only a two burner range and a microwave.



P.S. The wine here is suiting us quite well also! Rosés are the specialty of this region and they are not some sickly sweet zinfandel, but crisp dry refreshing wines that are great for cooking with as well.











2 comments:

  1. Hi you two!!

    I was away from Sunday to Wednesday this week in Jasper for a conference - it was lovely but I would rather have been in the South of France! The photos you are taking make my mouth water and my feet itch to take long walks.

    The apartment accumulating sounds like it is coming along - everyone has been so helpful and generous. No oven??? Interesting...how do they cook their turkeys and roasts...or even a big chicken? You will have to demonstrate when I am there.

    Life here is busy...away for most of this week so now trying desperately to catch up on the work! Gran had her other cataract done and is doing very well. I am having everyone over for Gran's birthday on Dec 5th...it's her 85th birthday. I still haven't booked the flights - if I get a minute today I will do it.

    I love those towel warmers in the bathrooms...I looked into getting one put in once but couldn't justify the cost for the comfort. You'd think those things would be ore common in a climate like ours that one like yours.

    Talk to you on Sunday!!!

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the message. I love hearing from you and I hope that you are enjoying the blog!